Shopping is an integral part of travel. When you go on travel, you are tempted to purchase a few goodies. Purchasing small items like purses or a small handicraft is ok. However, if you plan to purchase bulky items, you need a plan to transport them back to your home. Here are some travel tips for going on a shopping spree during vacations.
Shopping before proceeding on travel
Before you proceed on a travel, make a list of items you will need. It includes toiletries, clothes, bag and baggage, non-prescribed medicines, any maps and books. Make sure every thing is as light and small as possible.
Shopping at your vacation destination
1. While purchasing a handicraft or any other thing, ensure it is unique and you will not get the same in your city handicraft stores. If the item is available in a nearby store, there is no need to purchase it unless it is available in down to earth rates.
2. For bulky items, we suggest you to shop the items and ask the merchant to parcel them to you. While purchasing the items confirm if they have a facility to parcel it from the counter itself. Also, analyze if it will be cost effective to purchase an item and get it parceled to your home. Often the international freight charges are too high. So compare the price of your purchase and the shipping cost with the cost of item in local store.
3. Always purchase items through your credit card. The advantage of purchasing through a credit card is that you have a proof of purchase and if merchant does not deliver the goods in time or in perfect shape, you can dispute the charge. Consult your credit card customer service about the dispute procedure.
4. Make purchases in the last phase of your vacation. It has two benefits. One, you know the money left with you and can decide the budget for your purchase. Two, you need not carry this extra piece of luggage with you everywhere you go. Remember the important thing is to enjoy the vacation and not to purchase items. Most items are available in US at a reasonable price during off-season.
5. Travel tips for temporary shopping: Some items you may want to use and throw. There are many things, which are not in fashion in US. However, if you are fascinated with them, purchase, use and part away during vacations. Items like stone jewelry, straw hats, T-shirts, local dress fall in this category. They may be attractive for a while but do not have a long time use.